Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Start small. Even five minutes a day can have a profound impact on your wellbeing. Commit to five minutes a day for a week, then build it up to seven minutes for a week, and so on.
- Regular time. Pick a regular time each day, such as when you first wake up, or just before bed. Whatever time you choose, make that your meditation time and don't let yourself compromise!
- Acknowledge the voices. We all have voices in our heads that say things like "I can't," "I'm too busy," "I don't feel like it," and "I'll start tomorrow." Acknowledge them, and practise anyway. With regular practise, we learn to sit with the voices, rather than letting them take over.
- Be kind. If you miss a day, that's ok! Meditation teacher Susan Piver calls it practising a "gentle discipline" - being committed to your practise, but being gentle and kind about it.
- Be Guided. Using guided meditations can help you focus, while teaching you the fundamentals of meditation. It also means you don't need to worry about a timer, as someone else is keeping time for you!
- Sign up. We provide one-on-one meditation instruction in person (in NYC) or via Skype. Having a meditation teacher can help you develop your practise, providing you with instruction and feedback.
- Start today. Start today. Set a timer for five minutes and just do it.